Maple-Bacon Hasselback Sweet Potatoes
4 slices of bacon, diced
4 medium sweet potatoes
4 tablespoons olive oil
Maple Spice Mixture:
½ cup butter (1 stick), melted
3 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons maple syrup
½ cup pecans, finely chopped
1 teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon nutmeg
½ teaspoon kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 375ºF.
- Preheat a 12 inch cast iron skillet over medium heat for 5 minutes, then cook bacon until done, about 10 minutes. Drain the grease from the pan and set aside.
- Make horizontal slices in the sweet potatoes about ¼ inch apart, being careful not to slice all the way through to the bottom.
- Place potatoes in the cast iron skillet, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with kosher salt. Add ¼ cup water to the bottom of the pan, and cover. Steam potatoes in covered skillet over medium heat for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make maple spice mixture. Combine melted butter, brown sugar, maple syrup, pecans, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.
- After potatoes have finished steaming, remove lid from the pan and bake in oven on middle rack for 35 minutes.
- Remove potatoes from oven and turn it up to 400ºF. Spoon maple spice mixture into each sliver of potatoes, sprinkle with bacon and a pinch of salt, and bake for 15 more minutes.
Baked Honey-Garlic Chicken
- 1/4 c. low-sodium soy sauce
- 3 tbsp. honey
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 tsp. sriracha
- 2 tbsp. sesame oil
- 1 tbsp. cornstarch
- 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Sesame seeds, for garnish
- Scallions, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Make glaze: In a medium bowl, whisk together soy sauce, honey, garlic, lime juice, Sriracha, 1 tablespoon sesame oil, and cornstarch.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper. In an ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat, heat oil. Sear chicken and let cook until golden, 4 minutes, then flip and let cook 4 minutes more. Pour over glaze and transfer to oven.
- Bake until chicken is cooked through, 25 minutes. Heat broiler.
- Spoon glaze over chicken and broil 2 minutes. Garnish with scallions and sesame seeds.
Vegetarian Tamale Pie With Brown Butter Cornbread Crust
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup fresh corn kernels from 1 to 2 ears of corn
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 poblano pepper, diced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 medium cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 Serrano pepper, minced
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin (preferably from whole seeds)
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander (preferably from whole seeds)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3 tablespoons ancho chili powder
- 1 cup pitted green olives, sliced
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15-ounce) can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (28-ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes, drained and coaresly crushed with your hand
- 4 ounces grated sharp cheddar cheese (about 1 cup)
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves and fine stems, minced
For the Brown Butter Cornbread Crust:
- 6 talespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup (about 5 ounces) fine yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup (about 5 ounces) all-purpose flour
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 eggs
- 6 ounces (about 3/4 cup) sour cream
- 4 ounces (about 1/4 cup) cultured buttermilk
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced scallions
- 1 red jalapeño pepper, finely minced
- Sour cream, for serving